Saturday, June 12, 2010

UFC 115

This evening the UFC makes its first foray into Vancouver, BC. Since it's only a few hours' drive away from home for me, I would have loved to go to it, but the event managed to sell out within 30 minutes of tickets going on sale, and there's no bloody way I could have afforded tickets from a scalper. So it looks like I'm watching from home or the local pub.

The main card is Rich Franklin vs. Chuck Liddell. I like the way both of them fight, but I'd have to say I like Liddell a touch more than Franklin. However, I think this bout is a faceoff between two has-beens. Chuck has lost 4 of his last 5, and his jaw certainly isn't what it used to be. In the opposing corner, Rich used to be one of the best middleweight fighters until he ran into the wall that is Anderson Silva. He's basically trying out light heavyweight since The Spider looks to finish his career undefeated in the UFC middleweight division. Either way, the LHW division of the UFC has so many contenders, it's almost a bit of a waste to toss these two in the mix. If the fighters stay on their feet, Chuck had a slight edge, but on the ground Rich will likely take the fight.

Next is Cro Cop trying to recapture his glory days against Patrick Barry. I just don't know if Mirko has the heart for MMA anymore, but I'd like to see him unleash those bone-cracking leg kicks at least one more time.

The last fight that I'd like to see is a local boy, Rory McDonald making his second UFC appearance against Carlos Condit. I think Carlos has the edge in standup, but if Rory can take him to the ground he can most likely work in a submission.

Either way, let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment