Thursday, September 23, 2010

The evils of Perfection

You've heard the saying, "Perfection is the enemy of the good". Here is a slightly different opinion on the idea of "Perfection" and how the ideals created by perfection are completely unreal and can cause depression, self-hate, and all manners of personal illness. The quick summary that I took away from that essay (and my summary doesn't do that essay justice at all - go read the whole thing) is this: so many people get so wrapped up in the fake perfection we see in people all around us, we can abuse and hurt ourselves for not meeting those same ideals, not realizing that nobody is actually perfect.

At the end of the essay, the author offers this challenge:
Will you help me spread "Real"? Tell us below just how perfect you aren't. You never know who might be alive tomorrow because you were real today. You never know who needs to feel like they aren't alone in their inability to be perfect. Even if you comment as an anonymous guest, please comment. Tell us what you struggle with. Tell a sad or dark secret. Get vulnerable. Get real. Let's see if we can get 10,000 people showing the world that we're not defined by perfection.
Okay, here goes: one of the biggest reasons why I haven't been posting as often as I'd like is that I feel like it takes me way too long to create a new post. I make a post, then reread it anywhere between three to ten times in an attempt to catch spelling and grammar errors, and to help meet technical writing standards, which is a subject that I struggled with in college.

So this is me being real. I'm not re-reading this post or editing it later if I find a mistake or a sentence or two that I think can be rephrased better. Who knows - maybe after reading this essay I can convince myself to be a little less "perfect" and get some more posts up.

Edit: Okay, I re-read my post, but I didn't make any changes to it, even though there were about three sentences that I really wanted to rephrase. Don't hate me! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment